Our History

Cardinal_Gérald_C._Lacroix_-_No._2.jpg

Honoring our Past, Celebrating our Future.

Cardinal Lacroix Academy was established by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester through the unification of parish schools St. Anthony and St. Casimir in 2018. This new parish elementary school, under the auspices of St. Anthony of Padua Parish, is a marriage of two schools, both rich in history and tradition. It marks a commitment to the future of Catholic education in New Hampshire. This new school will provide a caring, safe environment for students to worship, learn and excel.

St. Anthony School

St. Anthony of Padua School, founded in 1904 by the Sisters of Holy Cross, is a parish elementary school located in the southeastern corner of Manchester, NH, and operates under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Manchester. The existence of Saint Anthony of Padua Elementary School is credited to the foresight and dreams of Bishop George Guertin. He first arrived at Saint Anthony Parish on October 2, 1890 and immediately delved into the task of building for the future. His foresight and wisdom were contributing factors in two separate land purchases that insured the further development of parish institutions.

St. Casimir School

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.41.18 PM.png

A photo of our original church building circa 1912. 

Rev. Msgr. John B. Puchala, the first Pastor of St. Hedwig Church, requested the help of the Felician Sisters of Buffalo, New York, to establish a school for Manchester’s growing population and families of Polish heritage. Upon their arrival in September of 1907, the Felician Sisters created the necessary foundation for one of the best grammar school educations in the city. They have continued to provide that quality Catholic education. Their teachings have influenced four generations of students and this influence will continue well into the future.

Establishment of Cardinal Lacroix Academy

Rev. Msgr. John B. Puchala, the first Pastor of St. Hedwig Church, requested the help of the Felician Sisters of Buffalo, New York, to establish a school for Manchester’s growing population and families of Polish heritage. Upon their arrival in September of 1907, the Felician Sisters created the necessary foundation for one of the best grammar school educations in the city. They have continued to provide that quality Catholic education. Their teachings have influenced four generations of students and this influence will continue well into the future.